Re: [OPE-L] old books and new books

From: tony tinker (tony.tinker@GMAIL.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 15:20:42 EDT

Sorry to be slow in replying Jerry.  While insiders might be a good
source, they tend to be exceptional and rare (most people are are "on
the gravy train" or they are suckered into believing they are doing
god's work).  The SPE's weren't actually audited by Enron's auditor
(Arthur Andersen) but by KPMG.  Note that the latter knew about the
fraud, kept the information from Arthur Andersen (who was then
lynched) and then KPMG picked up all for Arthur Andersen's client --
with Justice Department tacit blessing.

That's what they call "real" business strategy (KPMG style).  No doubt
it will be written up as a HBS case study, for classes when we return
back to sleezier times.

Fraternally,
TT

--
Professor Tony Tinker
Co-Editor: Critical Perspectives on Accounting
Co-Editor: The Accounting Forum
Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
Baruch College at the City University of New York
Box B:12:236
One Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010-5585
USA