Re: [OPE-L] old books and new books

From: tony tinker (tony.tinker@GMAIL.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 02 2006 - 15:32:25 EDT

Greetings Fred,

I'm not absolutely sure whether these figures are included in the
Corporate debt, but my best guess would be that such off-balance sheet
items wouldn't be,as they are lodged in seperate legal entities (the
SPE's) and the SPE's are not publically traded companies (sometimes
partnerships).

The practice of "off-balance-sheeting" is alive and well and thriving
(notwithstanding Eron) as it is a major feature of bank consulting.
As for the amounts, I don't think anyone has a clue.  It just isn't
reported.Doug Henwood's Left Business Observer is probably the best
place to check the accuracy of my comments.

Regards, TT

--
Professor Tony Tinker
Co-Editor: Critical Perspectives on Accounting
Co-Editor: The Accounting Forum
Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
Baruch College at the City University of New York
Box B:12:236
One Baruch Way
New York, NY 10010-5585
USA