[OPE-L:2104] Re: Surplus product in communist society?

From: clyder (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 04:54:57 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: <P.J.Wells@OPEN.AC.UK>
To: <ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 8:05 PM
Subject: [OPE-L:2090] Surplus product in communist society?

> Claus wrote
>
> > If the society is expected to continue expanding
> > the well being of its members, there has to be a surplus product, which
> > is,
> > however, appropriated by the social body, not only by a part of it,
i.e.,
> > it is no longer surplus value.
> >
> I'm uneasy about the notion of a "surplus product" in a communist
> society.
>
> Mention of a surplus immediately invites the question "surplus to
> what?"
 Surplus to the immediate needs of simple reproduction of the working
population.

Examples:
maintainance of defence industries to defend against attack by
capitalist states

supporting those who are to old and infirm to work

investing in scientific research

investing in new plant and equipment whose labour value is
higher than that which it replaces