[OPE-L:2136] Re: Why is Malthus correct on unproductive labor, according to Marx?

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 11:22:53 EST

I disagree. I have rarely found different of editions of Capital to
change an understanding of Marx. Even the Vintage re-translation versus
the standard translation did not in the final analysis make much
difference, except the newly published material on formal and real
subsumption of labor to capital. This case is another instance: it
doesn't make a difference whether that editor's footnote on Malthus is
there or not -- even Jerry doesn't think it makes a difference in the
reading of Marx's text.

Generally, we intellectuals tend to get too hung up on issues of textual
exigency, as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for the Coontz reference, Jerry.

Paul

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, web site
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka