[OPE-L:2256] Re: : value-form theories

From: Michael J Williams (michael@williamsmj.screaming.net)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 18:38:26 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: riccardo bellofiore <bellofio@cisi.unito.it>
To: Michael J Williams <mike.williams@dmu.ac.uk>; OPE-L
<OPE-L@galaxy.csuchico.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 11:35 AM
Subject: [OPE-L:2251] Re: value-form theories

> I would appreciate the shortest answer you may give for 'why *labour* in
> the abstract labour theory of value?'.

Because 'labour' is Marx's answer to the question How does M => (M + dM)
occur? And I agree with that.

>The reference to Classical Political
> Economy is worrying me. Smith has the idea that labour is the source of
> value, because labour is the *active* element in production,

That is right as far as it goes
>in whatever
> mode of production.

But that is not, because Value is a category specific to capitalism.
This cannot be Marx's perspective (I hold with
>I would like to
> understand how the systematic dialectical presentation explain why labour
> is the source of *value*, a statement which I hold is valid *only* in
> capitalism.

And so does VFT

> My difficulty of course is to understand how it is possible to
> have 'labour' in the theory of value without labour as the substance of
> value.

Could you explain briefly what you mean by 'labour is the *substance* of
value'?

> while I understand that
> you and Geert dissociate now from labour as the substance of value.

I'm not sure about Geert, beyond that I think he is of the view that
'substance' in any rigorous sense is an inappropriate term in the context of
value-theory. In several recent posts I have explained why imo value is a
predicate, a property, and so it must be a property *of* something, and that
something is the Commodity. A property can not have a substance, it can only
be the property of a substance, and you are obviously not claiming that
Value is a property of abstract labour.

> So
> don't think I am derogatory towards any of the surnames I've done.

Neither do I. What I said was misplaced and flat-footed irony. Forget it.

> the idea in Marx that exploitation arises at the
> intersection of the labour market and immediate production, and is only
> actualized in exchange

I agree with this idea, as does, I guess VFT in all its guises

>value is constituted (only) in
> exchange, without nothing 'substantial' before

This is not my view, nor, imo, that of VFT.

Comradely greetings

Michael
Dr Michael Williams
Economics and Social Sciences
De Montfort University
Milton Keynes
UK
fax: 0870 133 1147
http://www.mk.dmu.ac.uk/~mwilliam
[This message may be in html, and any attachments may be in MSWord 97. If
you have difficulty reading either, please let me know.]