[OPE-L:2333] Re: value-form theories

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 09:05:58 EST

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Michael Williams wrote:

> The disanalogy of Smith's Beaver/Deer hunter story is that
> there was no social mechanism to ensure that Beaver and Deer
> actually systematically exchanged in proportion to the
> hunting time required for each.

The mechanism is simply that the hunters are assumed to be
capable of hunting both deer and beaver: they know directly how
long it takes to bag each, on average, and they're unwilling to
"pay" more labour-time for an animal via exchange than they
would have to pay if they hunted it themselves.

> btw, I have switched from Outlook *Express* 97 to Outlook
> 2000. Does that help the problem with the 'reply to' field?

No, the "Reply-to" is still your personal email address, and it
takes some gymnastics to reply to the list.

Allin Cottrell.