[OPE-L:2343] Re: Carpe diem!

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@PRATT.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 07:44:20 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:10:49 +0100
From: Ernesto Screpanti <screpanti@unisi.it>

At 14.53 08/02/00 -0500, you wrote:
>We seem to have slowed down dramatically. The "money supply" thread
>appears to be over (unless someone chooses to resurrect it) and the
>"value-form theory" thread appears to be paused (although, I wouldn't at
>all be surprised if it takes off again after Geert's much-anticipated
>upcoming post[s]). Anyway, what else, in addition to VFT, would you like
>to discuss now?

>* Perhaps we could discuss one or more papers on a specific topic? Does
> anyone have any paper or research-in-progress that they would like
> feedback on?
>* Are there any contemporary political economic developments that we
> should have a discussion on now?
>* Any "extending Marx" issues that you want to discuss now?

I would like to discuss the following:
"The employment contract as the fundamental institution of capitalism". I
am working on this subject since some years. The basic idea is that the
basic institutional condition for capitalist exploitation in production is
not the private property of the means of production but a contract whereby
the workers take an obbligation to obbey the capitalist in the labour process.
I consider this thesis a deepening and a correction of Marx's theory of
capitalism.
If somebody likes this proposal, I could send a chapter of my book (in
porogress) in which I focus on the employment contract.
All the best.
Ernesto Screpanti

>* Any recent books, authors, articles that should be critically
> evaluated?
>* Any threads from the past that you think are important for us to
> re-visisit?
>
>This list is what *you* make it! Consequently, don't wait for others to
>take the initiative. Carpe diem!
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Ernesto Screpanti
Dipartimento di Economia Politica