[OPE-L:2344] Re: the black box of the domestic sphere?

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@PRATT.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 08:41:19 EST

Michael W wrote in [OPE-L:2338]:

> I just am not up to date with the Marxist-Feminist
> literature that no doubt does a better job than a ten-year old book.
(snip) In the
> My last prolonged engagement with this issue was during
> the 'domestic labour' debates of the 1970s. These fought themselves to a
> standstill, and what I walked away with was a conviction that the family is
> not integrated into the value-form determined economy: domestic labour (even
> if this is a felicitous term) produces neither surplus-value nor value. It
> creates people.

Which raises the question: what are the basic *theoretical* questions in
political economy which have been discussed and debated by
Marxist-Feminists since the "domestic labour debate" of the 1970's? (if
anyone is unfamiliar with that earlier debate, a good introduction is Ben
Fine "Reviewing the Domestic Labour Debate", in Fine 1992). It seems from
my reading that most of the writings by Marxist-Feminists since have been
on more concrete subjects and have centered around economic history, "case
studies", and class analysis.

In the early 1980's, the relationship between gender and the
internationalization of capital was a source of discussion and research
(see Young et al eds. and Nash/Fernandez-Kelly eds.). In these
discussions, though, there was not much contact to the earlier debate on
domestic labour or value theory in general. More recently, there has been
a (multi-disciplinary) discussion about the household (Fraad, et al) in
which specifically economic questions are little discussed.

One of the boldest attempts to conceptualize these subjects from a Marxist
perspective is by Mike L (1992). What do you (and others) think about his
analysis?

What other important works on this subject have been written in recent
years?

I have no idea what has been discussed in recent years in Japan on this
topic (Mariko?; Makoto?). Last I knew there was a "marxism-feminism" list
on the Net, but it was pretty inactive -- and dominated by male
subscribers. Does anyone know if this has changed? (Nicole?)