[OPE-L:2471] RE: Re: the transnational working class?

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 12:15:28 EST

Jerry wrote:

> One should also note that there are advancements in communications
> technology -- like the *Internet* (!) -- which have important implications
> for the process of building transnational solidarity movements and
> overcoming many of the obstacles that I listed above. Indeed, I think
> that the expression "The whole world is watching!" will become more of a
> reality and less of a slogan in the next period.

        Broadly, I agree: but even the best get carried away with internet
hype -- somewhere I have seen a reference to Engels apparently concluding
that the spread of the telegraph would tend to reduce the possibility of
financial crises [!]

        But I never checked it directly and, if memory serves, it was in
Bernstein, not noted for his grasp of what Marx and Engels were on about...

        Julian