[OPE-L:2515] Re: Re: Marx & Darwin

From: Andrew_Kliman (Andrew_Kliman@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 23:39:13 EST

Paul (Z, OPE-L 2510) is right. This was discussed on this list several
years ago. My memory is a bit fuzzy these days, but the story is
something like this: Marx's papers were in the hands of the Avelings.
Aveling wrote a book, _The Student's Darwin_ or something like that, that
he wanted to dedicate to Darwin. He wrote to Darwin and sent a copy of
the book. Darwin wrote back thanking him for the book and declining the
offer of dedication. This letter got mixed in with Marx's papers and
that's the beginning of the myth.

But of course there's more to it than that. The myth was perpetuated
because it conformed to a prevalent evolutionist, scientistic, positivist
notion of "Marxism."

The whole episode was exposed by Margaret Fay, writing in Monthly Review,
I think, maybe about 20-25 years ago. I can't remember any more details.

BTW, the way I always heard the myth was that it was *Vol. I* that Marx
wanted to dedicate to Darwin.

Andrew Kliman