[OPE-L:2562] Re: the evolution of the meaning of "critique"

From: nicola taylor (nmtaylor@carmen.murdoch.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 20:04:08 EST

Re Jerry's questions on 'critique'[OPE-L:2556]:

Below I have reproduced some passages from Paul Mattick's chapter in
Moseley (1993, pp.122-123). I wonder if his interpretation of Hegel is
accurate? Does Marx's inversion of Hegel's ontology (3rd paragraph) raise
questions re the process of *Aufhebung* (1st paragraph)?:

"By designating his writings on economics with the word *Kritik*, Marx
continued Kant's use of the word to denote an inquiry into the limits of
application of a set of concepts in certain spheres of inquiry. The
question of limits arises when the application of a system of concepts in
some area leads to problems unsolvable by means of this system. A critique
in this sense corresponds to what Hegel called *Aufhebung* (translated
hopelessly, but traditionally, as "supercession" or "sublation").
*Aufheben* has a double meaning, as Hegel explains it: "(1) to clear away,
or annul...;(2) to keep or preserve" (Hegel 1892, 180). With respect to
the critique of a conceptual system (or theory), the idea of *Aufhebung*
involves a new system that replaces the prior one but "preserves" it at the
same time, in the sense that it explains both the phenomena that formed the
subject matter of the prior theory and its limitations.

"But more is at stake in Marx's work than a relation between two theories,
even when it is of the sort now commonly described as a scientific
revolution. Since in Marx's conception theories are to be understood as
representations of socially regulated experience, theoretical critique here
echoes Hegel's remark that dialectical consciousness is not 'peculiarly
confined to the philosopher,' so that it 'would be truer to say that
dialectic gives expression to a law which is felt in all other grades of
consciousness, and in general experience' (Hegel 1892, 149-50). In this,
Hegel's formulation of dialectic goes well beyond Kant's. Marx's
represents a further, and distinct, development of the idea, since he
regards his theoretical *Aufhebung*, the critique of political economy, as
a response not to some inherent necessity located in the inadequacy of the
conceptual structure of classical economics but as called for and rendered
possible by the experienced crisis tendency of capitalism and the workers'
movement responding to it. It was experience of the limits of capital that
suggested the limits of political economy.

"Marx's theory of capitalist society is not meant to be a replacement for
political economy. It aims not just to demonstrate the analytic limits of
economic theory but also to explain the hold of that theory over the
inhabitants of the system. Thus the opening chapter of Capital ends with a
discussion, under the heading of the "fetishism of commodities,", of the
way in which the money form obscures the working of the system by
concealing "the social character of private labor and the social relations
between the individual laborers" (Marx 1976a, 168-9). The discussion of
the "Trinity Formula" at the conclusion of Volume 3 aims to demonstrate how
not only "vulgar economics" but even the "best representatives" of
classical theory, by accepting as fundamental categories for social
analysis the representatives of social relations developed within the
system itself, inevitably "fell more or less into inconsistencies,
half-truths and unresolved contradictions" (Marx 1982, 969).