[OPE-L:2569] Re: the meaning of "critique"

From: C. J. Arthur (cjarthur@pavilion.co.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 19:48:17 EST

Dear Nicky
If you like Mattick's stuff you should very definitely check out his
excellent chapter 'Theory as critiqe: On the Argument in Capital' in *New
Investigations of marx's method* eds F. Moseley and M. Campbell Humnaitiies
Press 1997.
Chris A
>Re Jerry's questions on 'critique'[OPE-L:2556]:
>
>Below I have reproduced some passages from Paul Mattick's chapter in
>Moseley (1993, pp.122-123). I wonder if his interpretation of Hegel is
>accurate? Does Marx's inversion of Hegel's ontology (3rd paragraph) raise
>questions re the process of *Aufhebung* (1st paragraph)?:
>
>"By designating his writings on economics with the word *Kritik*, Marx
>continued Kant's use of the word to denote an inquiry into the limits of
>application of a set of concepts in certain spheres of inquiry. The
>question of limits arises when the application of a system of concepts in
>some area leads to problems unsolvable by means of this system. A critique
>in this sense corresponds to what Hegel called *Aufhebung* (translated
>hopelessly, but traditionally, as "supercession" or "sublation").
>*Aufheben* has a double meaning, as Hegel explains it: "(1) to clear away,
>or annul...;(2) to keep or preserve" (Hegel 1892, 180). With respect to
>the critique of a conceptual system (or theory), the idea of *Aufhebung*
>involves a new system that replaces the prior one but "preserves" it at the
>same time, in the sense that it explains both the phenomena that formed the
>subject matter of the prior theory and its limitations.
>
>"But more is at stake in Marx's work than a relation between two theories,
>even when it is of the sort now commonly described as a scientific
>revolution. Since in Marx's conception theories are to be understood as
>representations of socially regulated experience, theoretical critique here
>echoes Hegel's remark that dialectical consciousness is not 'peculiarly
>confined to the philosopher,' so that it 'would be truer to say that
>dialectic gives expression to a law which is felt in all other grades of
>consciousness, and in general experience' (Hegel 1892, 149-50). In this,
>Hegel's formulation of dialectic goes well beyond Kant's. Marx's
>represents a further, and distinct, development of the idea, since he
>regards his theoretical *Aufhebung*, the critique of political economy, as
>a response not to some inherent necessity located in the inadequacy of the
>conceptual structure of classical economics but as called for and rendered
>possible by the experienced crisis tendency of capitalism and the workers'
>movement responding to it. It was experience of the limits of capital that
>suggested the limits of political economy.
>
>"Marx's theory of capitalist society is not meant to be a replacement for
>political economy. It aims not just to demonstrate the analytic limits of
>economic theory but also to explain the hold of that theory over the
>inhabitants of the system. Thus the opening chapter of Capital ends with a
>discussion, under the heading of the "fetishism of commodities,", of the
>way in which the money form obscures the working of the system by
>concealing "the social character of private labor and the social relations
> [...]

P. S. Please note that I have a new Email address,
<cjarthur@waitrose.com>
but the old one will also run until the summer. (To be doubly sure load both!)