[OPE-L:2593] Re: Re: Critique

From: Paul Cockshott (clyder@gn.apc.org)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 11:26:36 EST

> This brings us back to the old rigid we/ them class demarcation favoured
by
> Paul C. and Jerry. But surely the whole point of the labour theory of
value
> is to say that it is labour which produces capital, that workers are
> therefore dominated by their own product, that capital therefore depends
> absolutely on labour for its existence? Is this not the substance of the
> theory of crisis? Is this not the basis of hope for a different society?

By itself no, as the same could be said of every exploiting class -
that it depends absolutely on the labour of the exploited for its existence.
This is the material basis of the class struggle but not for a 'theory of
crisis', in the sense of pointing out inherent limits of a mode of
production,
since it is the invariant of all class modes of production.