[OPE-L:2693] Marx's relationship to Hegel

From: Andrew_Kliman (Andrew_Kliman@email.msn.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 12:23:12 EDT

This is what Marx wrote about his relationship to Hegel, in a footnote
in _Capital_, Vol. II:

"In a review of the first volume of _Capital_, Mr. Duehring notes that,
in my zealous devotion to the schema of Hegelian logic, I even discovered
the Hegelian forms of the syllogism in the process of circulation. My
relationship with Hegel is very simple. I am a disciple of Hegel, and
the presumptuous chattering of the epigones who think they have buried
this great thinker appear frankly ridiculous to me. Nevertheless, I have
taken the liberty of adopting towards my master a critical attitude,
disencumbering his dialectic of its mysticism and thus putting it through
a profound change, etc."

Engels left this out of the version of Vol. II he edited. It appears in
Rubel's French edition. I have quoted from the English translation, in
Raya Dunayevskaya's _Rosa Luxemburg, Women's Liberation, and Marx's
Philosophy of Revolution_, p. 149. I do not know the exact date this
passage was written, but Dunayevskaya (ibid.) notes that "Marx wrote this
after volume 1 had already been published."

Andrew Kliman