[OPE-L:2745] Re: Re: Re: Summary of Sieber by Andrzej Walicki

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 11:32:20 EDT

>Re OPE-L 2728:
>"It seems to me that Marx's theory of value is not influenced by Ricardo
>...."
>You're kidding, right?
>Andrew Kliman
Hi Andrew,
Yes, influenced was the wrong word. I meant to raise the question of
whether Marx, as a minor post Ricardian. tried only to iron out the
master's theory of value to solve the four problems (laid out in Critique
of Political Economy) it had come up against or whether Marx was a
thorough-going critic of Ricardo due to the latter's inattention to the
value-form, the kind of labor that is value positing (i.e., the duality of
labor), the proper level of abstraction, historical specificity of
capitalism, inadequate theory of money that makes the understanding of
crises of general overproduction impossible. It's not only Grossmann who
has argued that Marx's relation to Ricardo was of this latter nature (I do
think Moishe Postone and George E McCarthy have some very important things
to say as well), but you know that I am a disciple of Mattick Sr and
Grossmann (who also emphasized the greater importance of Ricardo critic
Richard Jones than Hegel to Marx's thought), so my bet is you knew I had
something like this in mind. Which raises the purpose of your question.
Yours, Rakesh