[OPE-L:2754] Re: Re: Re: slaves and value

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 18:02:03 EDT

Jerry,
I want to share this with you--I think you will appreciate the point. In
TSVIII (Section on Richard Jones, p. 431), Marx quoting Jones first then
comments:

"'I have not..made any disticntion as to *slave-labour*...The *civil
rights* of labourers do not affect their *economical position.* Slaves, as
well as freeman, may be observed susisting on each branch of the general
fund [self produced wages, expended revenue, and capital--rb].'
"[Marx himself then points out] Although the civil rights of the labourers
do not affect 'their economical position', their economical position does
affect their civil rights. Wage-labour on a national scale--and
consequently, the capitalist mode of production as well--is only possible
where the workers are personally free. It is based on the personal freedom
of workers."

Yours, Rakesh