[OPE-L:2809] Re: slaves and value

From: Gerald Levy (glevy@pratt.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 09:35:45 EDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:46:56 +0100
From: clyder <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
To: Gerald Levy <glevy@pratt.edu>
Subject: Re: [OPE-L:2687] Re: slaves and value

----- Original Message -----
From: Gerald Levy <glevy@pratt.edu>
To: <ope-l@galaxy.csuchico.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2000 1:06 PM
Subject: [OPE-L:2687] Re: slaves and value

> PS: I agree with Nicky's [2682]. The above also represents a reply of
> sorts to Paul C's [2686], to which I would only add that whether one views
> this position as "counter-factual" depends on whether one views the
> categories of commodity and value from a trans-historical perspective.

I do not regard commodities from a trans-historical perspective, if by that
you mean that I think all modes of production depend on commodity
production.
Hunter gatherer societies have, unless already in close contact with more
developed
societies, very little in the way of commodity production. However, I
suspect that
your conception of the historical range of commodity production is narrower
than mine. I understand commodity production to have occurred in a number
of pre-capitalist modes of production including slavery and feudalism.

We have good historical evidence for this, not least in the form of
surviving
currencies, price lists and records of trade. It is counter factual to deny
this.