[OPE-L:2826] what a Marxist may learn from Keynes?

From: Alejandro Ramos (aramos@btl.net)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 13:09:45 EDT

Riccardo:

>P.S.: I guess there is something worthwhile in, at least: (i) the category
>of 'finance' ... (iv) the priority of investment over saving;

Perhaps what Keynes did was to unearth a *very* old tradition in Political
Economy, that developed by John Law, and later put out of the mainstream by
Cantillon and Smith. I think this is what one might infer from Rist's book
on the history of monetary theories. BTW, what do you think about that book?

Alejandro

P.S.

>your [Jerry's] answer is what I expected from a true Marxist. In Keynes
there >was nothing really new. The truth is in the Book.

Well, you asked what "a Marxist" may find in Keynes, and I think it's
natural Jerry had replied trying to look for connections between Marx's
specific issues and Keynes' issues. It seems to me that here you're
depicting Jerry as some sort of dogmatic, "book worshiper", an opinion I
find neither constructive nor true.