[OPE-L:2853] Re: income distribution

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 19:26:57 EDT

On Fri, 14 Apr 2000, Gerald Levy wrote:

> > But if
> > Patrick's figure is right, it means of course that 500f
> > families have incomes greater than $45,000, which is not
> > consistent with a majority having incomes less than $26,887!
>
> Not correct.

OK, I see what you're saying. If the median is $45,000 that is
obviously not consistent with a majority having an income below
that level, but it is consistent with the _mean_ income of a
majority lying below that level.

But then this statistic ("mean income of a majority" --
presumably 50.1%) seems rather tricksy. Inequalities of income
are gross enough that there's no need to resort to statistical
trickery to exaggerate them.

Allin.