[OPE-L:2878] Re: Marx and Hegel

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@acsu.buffalo.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 13:53:13 EDT

If Hegel was Marx's detour on the way to the foundation of the scientific
study of social formations, Rakesh and the rest of us have the option of
moving forward, or going back over old intellectual history. Sure, one
can spend time with all this Hegel stuff and there surely would be some
payoff, but is it the more productive use of our time and energy? Won't
working for a demo for Mumia, for workers on strike, for a demo against
the IMF/World Bank, for minority/gay rights be time better spent? Or
wouldn't work moving Marx's political economy FORWARD be time better
spent? (For all the time I have spent on this list, namely since the
beginning, very rarely does a citation from Hegel himself pop up, and even
rarer in Marx from 1865 on--I just checked Vol. 24 of C.W. for 1874-1883
and well as letters from 1870-79.)

For myself, I don't have the time or interest to retrace steps Althusser
did for us (unless I will arrive at the point that Hegel's influence seems
so damaging that a direct confrontation would be needed).

Condemning "those who have attacked Marx without bothering to read Marx
seriously" is too vague in its lack class content. There is no reason why
we should ask the latest, publicized attacker of Marx -- Mayor Guiliani of
NYC -- to read Marx, nor any of those on the streets in front of Lazaro
Gonzalez's home in Miami.

Paul Z.

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka

Gerald Levy <glevy@PRATT.EDU> said, on 04/09/00 at 07:31 PM, replying to
Rakesh: