[OPE-L:2913] RE: Zimbabwe Petition

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 03:35:14 EDT

I don't doubt that many of the ZANU-PF, from Mugabe downwards, are
unpleasant thugs and kleptocrats, nor that many in the opposition are people
with impeccable credentials from the war of liberation....

...BUT this clause 1 of this petition makes it essentially a petition
against the right to dispossess not only capitalists in general but in
particular the settlers who sustained a racist dictatorship.

Since the petition makes by implication favourable reference to the rule of
law, it should be recalled that white rule in Rhodesia was sustained by
armed rebellion against a democratically-elected government (that of the
UK).

Most of what the petition coyly refers to as "commercial farmers" in fact
deserve to be hung as traitors, and numbers of them will have war records
that would probably still be vulnerable to charges of crimes against
humanity.

Julian