[OPE-L:2953] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marx and Keynes and Riccardo on money

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 11:47:29 EDT

OK, Riccardo, I feared that my arguments could not be followed, so may I
kindly turn the questions back on you.
1. How are money, value and capital category mistakes?
2. How are social laws based on them?
3. What does this have to do with Hegel?
At the simplest level, I am reading Marx as arguing that as long as our
behavior is money driven and our social labor is thereby regulated by the
property of things, we will be caught up in absurdities and nonsense which
will take philosophical analysis to uncover though not abolish. The crowing
achievement of this analysis is the demonstration of how metaphysically ill
formed money is. Perhaps it could be argued that the absurdities and
nonsense--as well as actual disorder--are only heightened after the link to
gold is broken? We therefore build on Marx's critique of fetishism in the
analysis of fiat money.
Yours, Rakesh