[OPE-L:2962] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Need 1 and Luxemburg's *Accumulation of Capital*

From: riccardo bellofiore (bellofio@cisi.unito.it)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 10:10:02 EDT

At 12:46 +0100 29-04-2000, JERRY LEVY wrote:
>A question re the ending of Riccardo's [OPE-L:2947]:
>
>* Who are the Marxists that *YOU* believe have been underrated in the
> last decades?
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

An incomplete list would include: Luxemburg, Grossmann, Mattick, Sweezy,
Dobb, Meek, Napoleoni. The reasons are very different. There have been
rediscoveries, of course: the outstanding name is Rubin.

But this is only one of the problems. There are at least three more:

(i) sectarianism: each stream goes on as if other Marxian streams are the
best enemy;

(ii) lack of translations of secondary authors: no translation is
avalaible, say, of the seminal works of Backhaus;

(iii) lack of translations of Marx: a lot of the new Mega is not
translated, and frankly I fear it will not be translated for decades.

We all should accept that Marx's is an open and problematic tradition,
rather than a closed system. This is why the names I selected are relevant:
each in his/her own terms referred to Marxian theory as an unending
research project, and each in his/her own terms were not simply academics,
but truly political men and women.

riccardo

        Riccardo Bellofiore
Office: Department of Economics