[OPE-L:2988] Re: Re: Need 3

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 03:25:59 EDT

C. J. Arthur wrote:

> Since neither fred nor anyone else has replied to Andrew's 'Need 3' I take
> the liberty of doing so even tho' I am sorry to say I have not closely
> followed their debate.
> >
> >////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
> >
> >Table 1
> >========================================================================
> > Constant Cap.
> > Input Total ============= Vbl. Output Rate of
> >Yr Price Cap. Seed Other Cap. Output Profit Price Profit
> >
> >1 £2/q 60 q 20 q 20 q 20 q 100 q 40 q £2/qr 66.7%
> > £120 £40 £40 £40 £200 £80 66.7%
> >
> >2 £2/q 60 q 20 q 20 q 20 q 200 q 140 q £1/qr 233.3%
> > £120 £40 £40 £40 £200 £80 66.7%
> >
> >\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

_____________________

Chris, I have just come back on ope-l after a long time, so don't know the context
of this. But in anycase, certain points are clear cut in the above example.

First of all, it is not clear what does the category "other capital" stands for.
If it is other than corn, the physical rates of profits in the above table are
mathematical nonsense. The ratio of surplus corn to physical capital would be a
ratio of heterogenous collection of goods.

Thus the only meaning one can make of the above table is that it is a case of
one-commodity model. Now, in a one commodity model "money" is theoretically
redundant. So the equations in terms of money turns out to be meaningless.

For the sake of argument, let us assume that it is a multi-commodity model poorely
represented in physical terms as "q" for all kinds of things and units. Now, in
multi-commodity case the rate of profits could be determined independently of
prices only if we could first work out the Standard commodities for the two
systems and secondly the wages are represented in terms of the respective Standard
commodities. Thus the physical rates of profits in the above example are still
nonsensical concepts.

Furthermore, we need to know whether the pound sterlings stand for one pound of
silver-commodity produced in the system or for fiat or credit-money. Let us
suppose they stand for a pound of silver-commodity (as was the case with Marx). In
this case, with the magical change in technology, all the prices (in terms of
silver-commodity) will change. And one cannot a priori even say whether the price
of corn will rise or fall let alone what would be the magnitude of this change.
One needs to work out the whole set of simultaneous equations to know that.

Let us suppose the pound sterlings stand for fiat or credit money. Then one will
need to know how the relationship of one unit of money is established with one
unit of various different commodities. Without that I don't understand what role
it can play in a theory of prices.

Let us assume that we are not in the business of 'theory of prices' and are in
some kind of New Interpretation world of National Income Accounting only. Well,
even in this case, one will need to know how come the 'value of money' remains
constant between the two cases? You should keep in mind that the 'value of money'
must be kept constant if you want to carry the same value from one period to
another for the constant capital used.

The last scenario could be that the case in the example above is about an
unusually good harvest in one year due to some accidental reason. In this case, it
is not supposed to represent a change in technology but rather just an accidental
increase in total market supply of corn for just a year. In this case, we are
simply dealing with demand-supply adjustments in the market. In this case
production equations have no relevance. The prices will be determined by the
higling in the market depending on various factors not presented in the equations.

Hope it was helpful. Cheers, ajit