[OPE-L:3059] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Simple Commodity Production

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 05:23:52 EDT

At 09:29 08/05/00 +0000, you wrote:

>"Value" does not equal "produced in order to be exchange", in my reading.
>Rather, "value" production occurs when there is generalized commodity
>production (with of course buying and selling of labor power).

This is highly contentious.
I would hold that commodities have exchange value independently
of whether their producers are wage labourers , free artisans or slaves.

The distinction between use value and exchange value is basic
to the existence of all commodities. I am unable to see how one
can tell by looking at the process of sale of a commodity, the
legal conditions under which its producers worked. The seller
puts it up for sale and gets back a sum of money in all cases
except simple barter.