[OPE-L:3108] Re: Fwd: Re: RE: starting points

From: Steve Keen (stevekeen10@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 07:16:53 EDT

I'm going to really stick my neck out here and note the following. While
*fully* agreeing with Gil on the irrelevance of the "constant c/v ratio"
proof, I prefer to highlight his observation:

>I'm sure we were all introduced to the Marxian problematic of surplus
>value with the suggestion that there was something meaningful in the
>exercise of demonstrating that surplus value could exist *even if* all
>commodities exchange at their respective values, the way out of the
>resulting dilemma being the distinction between the use and exchange
> >values of labor power

My contention is that this "way out" leads much further than Marxists
realise. The same distinction logically holds between the use and exchange
values of the means of production--as evidenced by the quote I referred
Rakesh to from the Grundrisse. With that logic, both commodities and labor
are potential sources of surplus value, and the price/value dilemma
evaporates.

Of course, I expect absolutely no agreement with this proposition!

Cheers,
Steve