[OPE-L:3111] Re: Re: Value, Price and Profit as a summary

From: JERRY LEVY (jlevy@sescva.esc.edu)
Date: Wed May 10 2000 - 16:59:20 EDT

Re Rakesh's [OPE-L:3109]:

You might not be aware of it, but Marxists from many different
perspectives have evaluated Sweezy's (and Magdoff's) thought in:

* Stephen Resnick and Richard Wolff ed. _Rethinking Marxism:
    Struggles in Marxist Theory: Essays for Harry Magdoff and
    Paul Sweezy_ (Brooklyn, Autonomedia, 1985)

Given your other comments, you might be particularly interested
in Andre Gunder Frank's article "A Marx, Keynes, Schumpeter
Centenary and the Editors of Monthly Review". There are also
articles by listmembers Mike L and Samir as well as many of
the better known Marxists of the 70's and 80's (e.g. Bettelheim,
Mandel, Wallerstein, and former listmember Jim O'Connor).

btw1: hy do you suggest that Schumpeter is a "cult figure among
      the American bourgeoisie"? Were you making a joke that I
      didn't get?
btw2: you wrote that you are partial to, among others, Cogoy.
      Yet, didn't Cogoy become a surplus approach theorist
      sometime back in the early 80's? I can't say that I
      know what his current perspectives are. Do you?

In solidarity, Jerry

PS: before reading the Resnick/Wolff book or the Shoul
    dissertation, *read Hegel*! :-)