[OPE-L:3124] Re: Marx -> Hegel -> Spinoza -> Epicurus -> ?

From: JERRY LEVY (jlevy@sescva.esc.edu)
Date: Thu May 11 2000 - 11:02:06 EDT

Re Paul Z's [OPE-L:3123]:

Paul cites Althusser to the effect that "you have to admit that
Marx was close to Hegel just in respect to those features which
Hegel openly borrowed from Spinoza ...."

Ahh ... but I don't have to admit any such thing! Nor have you
advanced an argument for this conclusion.

Of course, Hegel like Marx stood on the shoulders of those who
went before him. This does not mean that Hegelian theory is the
same as Spinoza's, etc. Of course, we don't require *infinite
regression* (the beginnings of oral communication by our species?)
to comprehend Marx. But, Marx openly acknowledges his debt to
Hegel in a way in which he does not do with Spinoza and Epicurus.

I continue to find the hostility of many Marxists to Hegel very
difficult to comprehend when they are only familiar with his
theory through secondary sources. Are they afraid that they will
catch some kind of infectious disease if they open a book by
Hegel? My gosh, if I mailed Rakesh or you a book by Hegel, would
you both break out in hives upon opening the wrapper? (It's
almost tempting to try this out as a joke!).

In solidarity, Jerry