[OPE-L:3158] Marx's commodity

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@wfu.edu)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 16:22:16 EDT

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Fred B. Moseley wrote:

> Allin, I am glad that you agree that Marx did not start with
> simple commodity production. Do you then agree that Marx's
> commodity in Chapter 1 is the product of capitalist
> production?

I'm not sure the question is well posed. I think that the
commodity from which Marx starts is a commodity in the abstract.
Capital doesn't come in till Chapter 4 (which is not to say that
chs 1-3 are about "simple commodity production"). Seems to me
his strategy is to see how much he can deduce about capitalism
from the simple observation that the wealth of capitalist
societies appears as "an immense collection of commodities".

Allin.