[OPE-L:3180] Re: the logic behind the sequence of topics to be presented

From: nicola taylor (nmtaylor@carmen.murdoch.edu.au)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 14:03:31 EDT

>* Do all agree that if one is trying to present the logic of a
> complex system, one must identify all of the major components
> of that system and establish a order of presentation that
> seeks to identify the inter-relationships and inter-
> connectedness of the different parts of that system?

Agreed. I consider that the "system" of interest (for Marx) is capitalist
commodity production, and the logic of that system requires a categorical
development different to that which might be applied to other "systems" or
forms of commodity production. i.e. the objective of understanding
capitalism requires a systematic dialectic development of categories and
the relationships among categories. But I guess that for some listmembers
the "system" of interest is not confined to capitalist commodity
production. Is a systematic dialectic development of categories developed
as a way to understand the capitalist system also applicable to the
analysis of non-market economies? This I doubt.

>If so, isn't the "starting point" of the presentation part of
>a larger process that seeks to identifty the order of the
>categories and topics to be presented? I.e. doesn't one
>have to develop a logic sequence for all of the parts of this
>complex system that need to be developed? If so, then the task
>of identifying the "starting point" is related to the tasks of
>establishing the "end point" and the "intermediary points"
>and their logical sequence.

Yes. But establishing the "end point" and the "intermediary points" of the
logical sequence (hence the starting points) will itself depend on how Marx
is interpreted. i.e. what is the "system" of interest to which the
researcher intends to apply Marx. For example, does the "complex system"
include peasant agriculture, or is it a model of capitalism in "pure" (wage
labour) form? Do we need to answer these questions before continuing with
your proposal? Forgive me if I'm being obtuse, and these questions aren't
relevant./comradely, Nicky