[OPE-L:3185] Re: Re: Re: Re: RE:race and justification in Zimbabwe

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 11:24:09 EDT

re3172

Nicky, what percentage of whites in Zimbabwe are poor whites? Most of those
remained did so because their property rights were secured, no? Is your
personal history representative in that propertyless whites left after the
Big Bad Black People came into power?

In Hillel Ticktin's book on South Africa, I think he argues on the basis of
occupational data that for the most part whites were simply lifted out of
the working class by apartheid. This makes the situation quite different
from the US or Brazil for example. I would imagine the situation is even
more stark in Zimbabwe.

I see that the MDC document makes quite a bit of the murder of the white
farmer Olds who had vowed (the document did not note) to shoot at
squatters, and had earlier been a violent counter revolutionary. It is not
clear to me that I should be up in arms over his death, as Julian said long
ago.

Rakesh