[OPE-L:3274] Re: Gil's criticisms

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sat May 20 2000 - 08:17:00 EDT

For what it is worth, I think I completely agree with Fred's formulation
and don't understand Gil's and Ajit's objections. Gil's appears in
_Science and Science_ in a condensed (he tells me) but I haven't had an
opportunity to get it from our library. Ajit has been making his point for
years and frankly I still don't get it (in the sense that I cannot
reproduce to a third-party his argumentation). Perhaps it is connected to
Ajit's not being interested in what an author "meant" (i.e., Marx perhaps
"meant" what Fred states, but Ajit doesn't care). Perhaps my lack of
comprehension is connected to the first chapters not being my special area
of research. Not sure.

I don't have anything to add to what is being written, except to state
that I think Fred' formulation is consistent with Althusser's
understanding that Marx's theoretical object throughout _Capital_ is the
capitalist mode of production (probably Fred is not aware of his support
from Althusser).

Paul Z.

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka