[OPE-L:3293] RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Accelerated ACcumulation

From: A.B.Trigg@open.ac.uk
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 05:59:11 EDT

Rakesh.
I will study your argument in more detail but the first part seems to be
consistent with Kalecki. Investment would be unchanged as capitalist
consumption increases but as you argue the share of profits in income would
increase. In Kalecki this should have an initial positive impact upon the
rate of profit since the total profits increase. Via his investment
equation the increase in the rate of profit would then have a positive
impact on investment which through higher capital stock could depress the
rate of profit. For Kalecki there will be a cycle because of these
mechanisms. Note, however, that there is no question of breakdown because
of a shortage of profits, which was my main point about the Bauer/Grossmann
model. Note also that there is no equation for determining investment in
the Bauer model, as there isn't in Marx. Without any shortage of profits
in the latter there is no reason for breakdown, apart from reasons of
realisation crisis. In Kalecki there is at least the possibility of
downturn because of his investment equation.

Thanks by the way Rakesh for the Galbraith reference which I haven't seen
and for your earlier email pointing out that capitalist consumption is only
passive in the Bauer/Grossmann model and not in Grossmann's writings. Maybe
you think it should only be referred to as the Bauer model - is this your
view?

M.thanks.

Andrew.

There could be an increase in the organic composition of capital as you
suggest (thanks for the Galbraith reference which I haven't looked at!).