[OPE-L:3344] Re: Measurement of value

From: Patrick L. Mason (pmason@garnet.acns.fsu.edu)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 12:24:04 EDT

Alfredo:

No offense intended, but you are engaging in the same obsfuscation
neoclassicals are accused of.

NO ECONOMIC THEORY CAN BE RELATED TO EMPIRICAL CATEGORIES WITHOUT MEDIATION.

When neoclassical economists point out the mediating influences on their
theoretical models, anti-neoclassicals say they are apologizing for the
status quo.

I have same several times, and will now repeat, empirical analysis is
simply the most concrete form of theoretical development. So, the process
goes something like the following:

high theory --> theory with mediation --> concrete macro- and
micro-analysis --> empirical work

to see affirm/disaffirm expected correlations.

In the process of doing the empirical analysis, we may very well discover
that the theory is insufficiently developed -- even if we are able to
affirm the expected correlations.

Note: I am not arguing here that that statistics "prove" anything. Every
econometrics professor I've ever had in graduate school, from Jan Kmenta on
the right to David Gordon on the late, has suggested and I wholeheartedly
concur that Theory proves. Statistics merely captures or fails to capture
the expected correlations.

At the end of the day, Marxists must have something to say about concrete
reality. I've always thought it was a point of pride among Marxists that
they could explain growth, exploitation, profit, prices, wages, etc better
than neoclassicals. Is this no longer true?

peace, patrick