[OPE-L:3352] Re: Re: objectivity of value

From: Michael Perelman (michael@ecst.csuchico.edu)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 15:38:58 EDT

Dear Patrick,

I hold your work on race in highest regard. I'm not arguing against doing
empirical work nor would I argue for abandoning the terrain to the likes of Thomas
Sowell.

I'm arguing against the treatment of value theory is something that can be
precisely measured. To say that does not mean that one cannot make some empirical
questions. Recall how marks tried to make estimates of the rate of exploitation
under different circumstances.

I do not think that treating value theory as being largely qualitative turns
Marx's his work in gibberish. Marx was very interested in revolution, but that
does not mean that precise measurements of value parties are necessary or
sufficient to transform society.

--

Michael Perelman Economics Department California State University michael@ecst.csuchico.edu Chico, CA 95929 530-898-5321 fax 530-898-5901