[OPE-L:3366] Reply to first part of Gil in [3365]

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 12:38:50 EDT

Gil, doesn't Marx's statement

    "the formation of capital must be possible even though the price and
value of a commodity be the same, for it cannot be explained by referring
to any divergence between price and value"

precisely close for him your "question of whether price-value disparities
might be a *necessary* condition for the existence of surplus value".

In other words, he wants to establish the formation of capital WITHOUT
price/value divergence; he refuses to permit price/value divergence to
establish the formation of value. If so, I don't understand that you have
proven the "invalidity of this part of Marx's argument"; you rather seem
to have changed the question.

Please keep in my mind my limited knowledge of these (for me, endless)
disputes about the first part of Capital.

Paul Z.

Paul Zarembka, supporting RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka