[OPE-L:3379] RE: Two visions of Marx's "starting point"

From: Michael Williams (mike.williams@dmu.ac.uk)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 17:06:09 EDT

If I may intervene briefly once again in this dialogue between Gil and Fred:

Gil writes:
>... Marx keeps going for another three pages, and in his
> *actual* conclusion to the chapter, he does not refer to this result as an
> end in itself; rather he quite explicitly uses it as a *premise* in his
> chapter-concluding inference (part of his "double result") that surplus
> value "must" be explained on the basis that all commodities exchange at
> their respective values:
>
> "The reader will see from the foregoing discussion that the
> meaning of this
> statement is only as follows: the formation of capital must be possible
> even though the price and the value of a commodity be the same, for it
> cannot be explained by referring to any divergence of price and value."
> [footnote, p. 269].

I'm afraid that Gil's interpretation just does not fit this passage. Far
from saying that equivalent exchange is *necessary* for an explanation of
surplus value, Marx says that the latter 'must be possible even though'
there is equivalent exchange. This is exactly what I earlier called 'even-if
logic'. The final phrase might look more hopeful for Gil, but on reflection
doesn't help his interpretation. It is all a matter of level of aggregation:
capital can be 'formed' at the level of an indivdual (for example monopoly)
firm on the basis of profit-upon-exchange; but not at the level of capital
in general, since exchange per se is a zero value-sum game.

> Oh, and by the way, Marx acknowledges that commodities don't typically
> exchange at their values at the end of the last footnote in Ch. 5.

Of course he does - and does not thereby contradict his 'even-if' argument.
Perhaps i can make myself clearer by indicating a neo-classical 'even-if'
argument, that is used to try to justify holding indivdual preferences
constant, namely that it is too easy, indeed vacuous, to explain anything
(for example a price chnage) on an individualistic basis by merely positing
a preference change.