[OPE-L:3386] Re: Re: further replies to Gil

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 23:52:57 EDT

And let me correct my misquote of Marx on the "real difficulty" of
measurement itself making real the apparently pre-existing property which
is being measured

Marx writes:

"The point of departure is not the labour of individuals considered as
social labour, but on the contrary the particular kinds of labour of
private individuals, i.e., labour which proves that it is universal social
labour only by the supersession of its original character in the exchange
process. Universal social labour is consequently not a ready -made
prerequisite but an emerging result. Thus a new difficulty arises: on the
one hand, commodities must enter the exchange process as materialised
universal human labor time; on the other hand, the labour time of
individuals becomes materialised universal labour time only as a result of
the exchange process." Critique of Poltical Economy, p. 45

Yours, Rakesh