[OPE-L:3775] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: surplus value and transferrred value

From: Ajit Sinha (ajitsinha@lbsnaa.ernet.in)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 03:54:57 EDT

Let's cut through this merry go around, and put Fred's arguments in equation form to
show its absurdity. Let me accept Fred's assumption that Ci's and Vi's are "given".

Let us suppose we are in two good economy say iron and wheat. According to Fred's
theory, for iron sector we "observe":

$300 (iron) + $100 (wheat) + 10 hrs of labor, and for wheat sector
$200 (iron) + $100 (wheat) + 10 hrs of labor

Given this, according to Fred

20hrs x m = $700 + $700r, where r is the rate of profits.

--> r = ($20m - $700)/$700

Now Fred's equations for the prices of production would be

$400 + $400r = $y, say (for iron sector) and

$300 + $300r = $z, say (for wheat sector)

Still we don't know the prices of production until we know how many units of iron
and how many units of wheat was produced. Now Fred will say, okay! let us suppose
now that the right hand side of the Sraffian equations are given to us too! So let
us suppose that 5 units of iron and 10 units of wheat were produced. Now, Fred's
prices of production of iron would be $y/5, and for wheat $z/10. Now, from here Fred
would like to derive the inputs. So the technology is now derived as:

1500/y units of iron + 10 hrs of labor --> 5 units of iron
1000/y units of iron + 10 hrs of labor --> 10 units of wheat

The interesting thing about this exercise is that the real technology that is used
in producing iron and wheat may not have anything to do with this derived technology
because it crucially depends upon the value of "m". You change the valume of "m"
arbitrarily, and your technology will keep changing accordingly. This is the
absurdity of Fred's theory, which he keeps attributing to Marx.
Cheers, ajit sinha