[OPE-L:3898] Re: Re: Re: Fred/Ajit discussion

From: Paul Zarembka (zarembka@ACSU.BUFFALO.EDU)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 19:32:46 EDT

Paul B.

I think I need to reproduce what you initially wrote [3881] which led to
my question:

PB>money, as both means of circulation and as capital, is historically
PB>prior to wage labor as the dominant form of production.

I asked about the connection of this statement of yours to capitalism and
you answer below.

Let me now ask another way: You refer to "money, as ... capital". Yet,
money is not simply "capital" or you wouldn't have needed to bother
writing, correct? So how is "capital" distinct from money? Is "capital"
not the appropriation of surplus value from wage labor? (I guess you will
disagree.)

If so, then "money...as capital" is not "prior to wage labor".

Paul Z.

Paul Zarembka, editor, RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY at
******************** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka