[OPE-L:3950] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Transformation Problem

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 14:08:26 EDT

In 3947 Paul C wrote:

>Note that the definition of value in vol 1 is done in abstraction from
>changes in technology over time.

False. From the beginning, Marx emphasizes that an increase in the
amount of material wealth may correspond to a simultaneous fall in
the magnitude of value; so, the same change in productivity which
increases the fruitfulness of labor, and therefore the amount of use
values produced by it, also brings about a reduction in the value of
the increased total amount, if it cuts down the total amount of
labour time necessary to produce the use values.

That is, from the beginning value theory is not enlisted to formalize
Adam Smith's insights into hidden hand or to set up a delusive system
of n millions of equations into which we need only introduce n
millions of constants to calculate with mathematical accuracy the
price of a definite individual commodity at any time.

Rather by holding the value of money constant, Marx can explore the
working of the law of value as it appears in the general *development*
of prices of commodities, in which the continuous depreciation in
value of the commodities, effected by ever increasing productivity of
labor consequent upon the accumulation of capital, constitutes the
decisive factor. The final purpose of this of course is to reveal the
economic law of motion of modern society and that means at the same
the law of its historical development.

See Karl Korsch, Karl Marx, p. 153-4 and Grossmann's dynamics book.

>In vol 1 a change in technology
>changes values, but there is not systematic treatment of
>the effect of a continuous rate of change of technology on
>the definition of commodity values.

This is what the whole chapter on relative surplus value is about. How else
could the rate of exploitation rise if real wages at the very least remain
constant?

>It strikes me as illegitimate to try and reconcile prices of production
>computed on a temporal basis with value defined on a non temporal
>basis.

Value is never defined on a non temporal basis; it is only held
constant for the purposes of simplifying the construction of the
reproduction schema which are meant to show the possibility of growth
without a permanent consumption deficit.

I will parenethically note here that  even if Marx has failed here for the
reasons Paul Z has noted, then	all this means is that a scheme in constant
values cannot demonstrate  this possibility, not that capital accumulation
must be haunted by a  permanent inability to realize produced surplus value
(see Grossmann's critique of Luxemburg).

Moreover, you do not respond to my post by cutting and answering, as
Ajit has said we should. There I give you clear evidence that in
Capital 3, ch 9 Marx does *not* assume constant values or prices of
production.

>Once you deal with continuous rates of change of labour productivity
>then you are stepping outside the theoretical space on which the original
>theory of value was based.

Not Marx's original theory of value.

Yours, Rakesh