[OPE-L:3989] flames

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Fri Oct 06 2000 - 11:27:22 EDT

In [OPE-L:3982], Ajit wrote:

> About a couple of months ago <snip, JL>

I was at sea a couple of months ago, Ajit.

> This was, of course, not considered flaming by Jerry. Do I have to > say anything more?

I was not asked whether I considered Andrew's post to be flaming before. FWIW, I don't. On the other hand, I would have preferred that Andrew not raise that issue on-list since it concerened events that allegedly happened off-list with another publication.

In the past, I have received requests from some listmembers that -- wherever possible -- I discuss flaming with the individuals concerned off-list or make a gentle reminder of our policy on-list without mentioning names. If there is a feeling by you or others that I have been unfair in enforcing list policy or have not aggressively enough combatted flames, then we can discuss that (preferably, off-list).

As for the discussion between Fred and you on the TP and "givens" in Marx's theory, I am pleased to see that the tone of that discussion has much improved and the exchanges have been more substantive.

For the record, btw, I consider you (and Fred and Andrew K)to be a valuable part of OPE-L and I much appreciate your continued participation in our discussions.

In solidarity, Jerry