[OPE-L:4006] Re: Re: Re: Surplus value or surplus argument?

From: Steve Keen (s.keen@uws.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 10:26:48 EDT

When I said that surplus value is proportional to necessary labor, I meant
that in the labor theory of value the ratio S/V is taken as constant. If
your key equation is instead

S= m.L - V

then I don't see how you can maintain a constant rate of surplus value
across industries. Therefore if this equation is made pivotal, I think you
have a rather different theory to the one Marx set out.

Steve
At 12:23 AM 10/7/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Steve Keen wrote:
>
>> Subject: [OPE-L:3976] Re: Surplus value or surplus argument?
>>
>> Thanks Fred,
>>
>> Yes it is proportionality in the strict sense of the word, but it is no
>> longer Marx's theory in the strict sense of the word.
>
>Steve of course later retracted the agreement stated in the first part of
>this sentence in a later post (a reply forthcoming).  As for the assertion
>in the second part of this sentence:  this is Steve's opinion, of
>course.  I think this proportionality IS Marx's theory, as he presented it
>in Capital, as discussed further below.
>

>> This is where I believe the divide arises between myself, Ajit, Gil et al
>> on one broadly defined side of this debate (possibly including Allin & Paul
>> on this issue), and yourself. Both sides are saying that Marx's theory as
>> he wrote it can't be sustained, in that strict proportionality between
>> surplus value and necessary labor can't be correct.
>

>Steve, I am NOT saying that "Marx's theory as he wrote it cannot be
>sustained".  I am saying the opposite: that Marx's theory as he wrote CAN
>be sustained.
>
>Secondly, I don't understand why you say that surplus-value value is
>proportional to NECESSARY labor. Surplus-value is proportional to SURPLUS
>labor.  What do you mean by "necessary labor"?   Is this a slip?
>

>> You are saying that so long as we bring in an unobservable modifier m, then
>> we can make S proportional to V when this modifier is part of the equation.
>> Well, mathematically, perhaps; but what does this do to the simple Marxian
>> clarion call that all surplus arises from labor (with which I don't agree,
>> of course, but it's a very large part of why people are initially attracted
>> to Marx)? Surplus is an unobservable number times L, minus workers' wages?
>

>> Any potential recruits who heard that argument at a first meeting with
>> the IS would wobble out of the meeting hall and go looking for a less
>> confusing belief system.
>>
>> This of itself doesn't concern me too greatly, but it's a sign of the
>> divide which exists between the simple message which recruits people to
>> an initial interest in Marx, and the complex footwork needed to sustain
>> a comparable message once you look very closely at the argument.
>

>Steve, m is not just an "unobservable modifier", just a number, without
>any theoretical content.  Rather,  m expresses quantitatively the basic
>assumption of Marx's labor theory of value: that each hour of abstract
>labor produces m amount of money-value (e.g. 0.5 shillings per hour).  m
>is not something unrelated to labor, but is instead the rate at which
>labor produces money new-value.  The labor theory of value cannot be a
>theory of prices with L alone.  m is also required.
>
>Next, the variable explained by Marx's theory is not "surplus",
>but surplus-value, which is defined as dM and illustrated as 3
>shillings.  Steve, what do you mean by "surplus"?

> [...]
Dr. Steve Keen
Senior Lecturer
Economics & Finance
University of Western Sydney Macarthur