[OPE-L:4019] The Transformation Non-Problem and the Non-Transformation Problem

From: Alejandro Ramos (aramos@btl.net)
Date: Sun Oct 08 2000 - 16:42:19 EDT

Re Andrew K #4017:

You write:

>That is the key question of all quantitative value theory of whatever
>stripe (neoclassical, post-Keynesian, Sraffian, etc.), IMHO.  The answer
>depends on the theory in question.  P[t] is given BEFORE production, and
>let's assume A and B are given.  Then either the P[t+1] are determined
>exogenously (e.g., by "demand," as in PK theory) which then determines r;
>or r is determined exogenously, which then determines the P[t+1].

"Endogenously"?

[...]

>So what?  What is the justification for holding the matrix of
>technological and real wage coefficients, A, constant over time?

I think it's implicitly assumed the existence of some kind of "Walrasian
auctionner" who solves the system *atemporally* in such a way that input
and output prices are the same. Market is then conceived as a kind of
"computer" searching for equilibrium given some parameters. Additionally,
it sounds pretty "materialistic" to use technology and real wage as the
parameters used to determine prices.

A.R.