[OPE-L:4055] Classifying industries

From: P.J.Wells@open.ac.uk
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 09:00:02 EDT

Steve,

Thanks for the tip about Galbraith, since I too am interested in this topic.
By way of thanks, and aid to Andrew, Galbraith's URL is

http://www.utexas.edu/lbj/faculty/galbraith.html

from which one can navigate to relevant working papers at

http://utip.gov.utexas.edu/

A *very* quick skim of the most-relevant looking paper** suggests that their
focus is more on differences in *levels* of aggregation in the usual SIC
system, rather than in different *definitions* of sectors.

I think Andrew's point was more in the latter sense -- in fact, I understood
it to consider *random* classification schemes.

Incidentally, UTIP's stock in trade appears to be the Theil index of
inequality -- something of which I seem to have been dimly aware of before,
but have certainly not seen
in detail -- so thanks for this too.

Julian
** UTIP working paper #15