[OPE-L:4067] Zhiyong Dong

From: glevy@pratt.edu
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 14:36:29 EDT

Zhiyong Dong, a member of the faculty at Northwest University in
the People's Republic of China, is our newest subscriber.

A very complete explanation of his research interests,
dissertation and publications follows:
------------------------------------

I am at present an associate professor at the Department of
Administration
and Philosophy, Northwest University, P. R. China. I used to be a
history
lecturer for ten years, that is from 1982 to 1992, at the same
university. I
completed my six-year study at the Queen's University of Belfast
and was
awarded a degree of Ph.D. by the same university two years ago.
I have been
interested in political economy, history, philosophy, economics,
Marxism,
etc. I have published more than twenty academic papers in
established
journals in China.

At this moment, I am working on the research project of absolute
value.

The concept of absolute value was put forward for the first time in
human
history by David Ricardo in his book On the Principles of Political
Economy
and Taxation. However, no one has explained clearly what
absolute value is
and if there exists absolute value at all since the publication of
the book.

I believe that I have resolved the problem of how to measure
correctly the
quantity of abstract labour in my doctorate dissertation. On this
foundation, I believe, it is not difficult to pluck one of the
diamonds in
the crown of economics, that is, to explain clearly what absolute
value is
and if there exists absolute value at all.

The main task to carry out the project of absolute value is to infer
and
prove that the absolute value embodied in the same
commodities, say one ton
of wheat, in the same market is the same, no matter how
different the
methods or tools used by the producers and no matter how
much time the
producers used in producing them. This fact ultimately leads to
the fact
that the same commodities in the same market have the same
price.

By explaining clearly what absolute value is and how absolute
value is
expressed, we may have a much better understanding of the
reasons why the
distinction of average income between the different communities
can be compa
red and expressed by the same measurement (currency), such
as American
dollars or British sterling, etc.; why the real gross national
product of a
nation can increase much faster than the increase of the number
in the
labour force in the sense of the number of working population;
why there has
been inflation; why wage inflation can slow as unemployment
falls for years;
whether it is wise to practise the policy of "welfare state"; whether
it is
necessary to increase the minimum wage according to the
increase of
efficiency in productivity. In the new light of the theory of absolute
value, the relevant economists may put forward some better
ideas to the
politicians who are deciding the economical policies of their
communities to
deal with the issues of social security, government investment,
public
ownership of property, state-run enterprise, privatisation, interest
rates,
inflation, recession, international competition, unification of the
district
economy, unification of the global economy, etc., in the
circumstances that
both the domestic economical intercourse and international
economical
intercourse have to be carried out through the medium of money.
What is
more, the defects of the theory of labore-value postulated and
developed by
Adam Smith, David Ricardo and Karl Marx could also be
revealed thoroughly in
the new light of the theory of absolute value.

I hope this project can be completed in one year and the output
can be
published as a book in English ultimately.

However, my English is not good enough to make it published in
English.
Therefore I am trying to find a collaborator who knows much
about
traditional theories of labor-value and who is a native speaker of
English.

I am also trying to find a collaborator who is a native speaker of
English,
who knows much about theories of human rights, who is a
native speaker of
English and who is interested in collaborating with me 1) in
developing my
doctorate dissertation into a series of papers for publication and
being the
other author of them; 2) in developing my doctorate dissertation
into a book
for publication and being the other author of it; 3) in finding the
proper
journals and publishing house for the publication of them.

The title of my doctorate dissertation is The Ownership of the
Person and
the Concept of Human Rights. This paper claims that it is
ownership of the
person that is the most fundamentally economical system or
institution in
human society, but not the ownership of the means of production
as
traditional Marxists argue. It is because that it is the dominant
ownership
of the person which a community has gained that determines
the social nature
of the community. For instance, the reason for us to classify the
ancient
Rome Empire as a slavery society is that the dominant
ownership of the
person which the ancient Rome Empire had gained was slavery
ownership of the
person. Meanwhile, one can not distinguish a slavery society
from a civil
society from the aspect of the ownership of the means of
production, because
most of the means of production of both societies were
possessed and owned
by a handle of people.

I have been wishing to develop my doctorate dissertation into a
series of
papers and a book for publication in English for a long time. But,
my
English is not up to that.  Therefore I have to find a collaborator
who
knows much about theories of human rights and who is a native
speaker of
English. <snip, JL>

The scholars who are interested in collaborating with me can get
the whole
doctorate dissertation of mine through email if they tell me their
email
addresses. My e-mail address is: dongzy@nwu.edu.cn

Please find the enclosed titles of my publications and the table
of contents
of my doctorate dissertation.

I would be grateful to you if you could transmit the above
information about
me to the members concerned for my candidacy in the email list
and if you
could transmit the above messages of mine about my looking
for collaborator
to the members of OPE-L mail list as soon as possible.

With my best wishes,

Yours sincerely,

Zhiyong Dong

--------
Dr. Zhiyong Dong
The Department of Administration and Philosophy
Northwest University
Xian, Shaanxi, 710069,
P. R. China
Tel: 86+(029)8303478
E-mail: dongzy@nwu.edu.cn

PUBLICATIONS:
1. Dong Zhi-Yong, "Measurement of Concrete Labour and
Concrete
Labour-power", Yunnan Social Sciences, pp. 8-15, No. 6, 1999,
The Social
Academy of Yunnan Province, P. R. China.
2. Dong Zhi-Yong, "Absolute Abstract Labour-power and Relative
Abstract
Labour-power", Jiangsu Social Sciences, pp. 134-140, No. 6,
1999, The
Scholar Union of the Social and Philosophical Sciences in
Jiangsu Province,
P. R. China.
3. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The British Policy towards Tibet during World
War II",
Studies of Anti-Japanese War, (Quarterly Journal), No. 1 of 1994,
pp. 55-70,
Peking; Xinhuawenzhai,. (Monthly Journal), No. 7 of 1994,
Peking.
4. Dong Zhi-Yong & Zhou Weizhou, "The Policies of World
Powers towards Tibet
round about the Liberation of Tibet", Journal of Tibetan College,
(Quarterly
Journal), No. 2 and No. 3 of 1994, pp. 67-75, 69-82, Xianyang,
Shaanxi, P.
R. China.
5. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The Trade between Tibet and British India
from 1912 to
1950", Studies of History of Chinese Borderland, (Quarterly
Journal), No. 4
of 1993, pp. 64-72, Peking.
6. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The Issue of Import of Indian Tea into Tibet",
China
Tibetology, (Quarterly Journal), No. 3 of 1993, pp. 69-82, Peking.
7. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The Trade between Tibet and British India
before 1912",
Studies of History of Chinese Borderland, (Quarterly Journal), pp.
85-92,
No. 2 of 1992, Peking.
8. Dong Zhi-Yong, "On the So-called British-Tibetan Trade
Convention 1914",
Studies of Modern History, (Bimonthly Journal), pp. 123-152, No.
6 of 1992,
Peking.
9. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The Illegal Occupation of British India over
the Chinese
Territory to the South of the McMahon Line", Reports on History of
Chinese
Borderland, (Quarterly Journal), pp. 1-16, No. of 1992,, and pp.
25-40, No 2
of 1992, Peking.
10. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The British Policy towards Xinjiang before
1864",
Studies of the History of Northwest China, (Annual Journal), pp.
56-85, No.
3 of 1989, Sanqin Publishing House, Xian, Shaanxi, P. R. China.
11. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The Survey of the Southern Border of
Xinjiang Province
by Li Yuan-Bing and Ai-Ying between 1890-1892", Reports on
History of
Chinese Borderland, (Quarterly Journal), No. 4 of 1989, Peking.
12. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The British-Russian Rivalry and Partition of
Pamir",
Reports on History of Chinese Borderland, (Quarterly Journal),
pp. 91-106,
No. 1 of 1987, Peking.
13. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The British Policy towards Xinjiang between
1864 and
1871", Studies of the History of Northwest China, (Annual
Journal), pp.
68-86, No. 1 of 1986, Sanqin Publishing House, Xian, Shaanxi,
P. R. China.
14. Dong Zhi-Yong, "Riot against Christianity in Pingli County
and the
Monument to the Suppression of the Riot", Wenbo (Bimonthly
Journal), No. 5
of 1985, Xian, Shaanxi, P. R. China.
15. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The Policy of World Powers towards the
Sino-Russian
Negotiation over the Area of Yili between 1872 and 1881",
Sino-foreign
Relations in Modern Time, pp. 108-135, People's Publishing
House of Sichuan,
Chengdu, Sichuan, P. R. China, 1985.
16. Dong Zhi-Yong, "On Gordon"s Visit to China in 1880",
Materials of the
History of Northwest China, (Semi-annual Journal), pp. 68-74,
No. 1 of 1984,
Institute of the History of Northwest China, Northwest University,
Xian,
Shaanxi, P. R. China.
17. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The Policy of the Chinese Government
towards the
Sino-Russian Negotiation over the Area of Yili between 1872 and
1881",
Materials of the History of Northwest China, (Semi-annual
Journal), pp.
78-84, No. 2 of 1983, Institute of the History of Northwest China,
Northwest
University, Xian, Shaanxi, P. R. China.
18. Dong Zhi-Yong, "The Policy of the Chinese Government
towards Russia
between 1895 and 1905¡¯, Materials of the History of Northwest
China,
(Semi-annual Journal), pp. 93-98, No. 2 of 1981, Institute of the
History of
Northwest China, Northwest University, Xian, Shaanxi, P. R.
China.

Employment:
Animal Specimen Collector, Shaanxi Provincial Institute of
Zoology,
P. R. China ,Aug. 1973- Dec. 1976

OWNERSHIP OF THE PERSON
AND THE CONCEPT OF HUMAN RIGHTS

by

Zhiyong Dong

A thesis presented in fulfilment of the requirements
for the degree of
Doctor of Philosophy

School of Philosophical and Anthropological Studies
College of Humanities
The Queen’s University of Belfast

November 1997

TABLE OF CONTENTS

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS	      iv

INTRODUCTION		     1

CHAPTER 1: LABOUR		       3

Section 1: Current Definitions of Labour	      3
Section 2: The Essence of Labour		    5
Section 3: Multi-Moment Activities	      12
Section 4: The Unity of Single-Moment Activity and Multi-Moment
Activity
17
Section 5: The Difference between Labour and Other
Multi-Moment Activities
21
CHAPTER 2: LABOUR-POWER 	   29

Section 1: The Essence and Function of Labour-Power	   29
Section 2: Individual Labour		  31
 1. Individual labour		    32
 2. Extended individual labour		   32
Section 3: Individual labour-power	       35
 1. Individual labour-power		35
 2. Extended individual labour-power		35
Section 4: Concrete Labour		36
Section 5: The Expression of the Quantity of Concrete Labour
  and its Measurement		   42
Section 6: Concrete Labour-Power	     45
Section 7: Abstract Labour		47
Section 8: Absolute Abstract Labour and Absolute Abstract
Labour-Power	  51
Section 9: Relative Abstract Labour and Relative Abstract
Labour-Power	  56
Section 10: The Quantity of Abstract Labour and Measurement
       of Abstract Labour-Power 	   62

CHAPTER 3:
COLLECTIVE LABOUR AND THE DIVISION OF LABOUR	 73

Section 1: Collective Labour and the Division of Labour        73
Section 2: Two Processes of Division of Labour		77

 CHAPTER 4: THE OWNERSHIP OF LABOUR-POWER	 81

Section 1: Ownership		    81
Section 2: The Distribution and Ownership of Products and
Services     84
Section 3: The Ownership of Labour-Power	   91
Section 4: Existent Forms of the Ownership of Labour-Power	95
 1. Primitive ownership of labour-power 	 95
 2. Self-ownership of labour-power	   101
 3. Slave-ownership of labour-power	    102
 4. Feudal ownership of labour-power	    104
 5. The civil ownership of labour-power        112
 6. Individual ownership of labour-power	116
 7. Partial social ownership of labour-power	   117

CHAPTER 5: OWNERSHIP OF THE PERSON	 121

Section 1: Ownership of the Living Body of Human Beings     121
 1. Self-ownership of the living body of human beings	  123
 2. Slave ownership of the living body of human beings	   124
 3. Feudal ownership of the living body of human beings     125
 4. Individual ownership of the living body of human beings    127
Section 2: Ownership of the Marriage Right	   134
 1. Self-ownership of the marriage right	137
 2. Feudal ownership of the marriage right	  141
 3. Slave ownership of the marriage right	 146
 4. Individual ownership of the marriage right	     148
Section 3: Ownership of the Person and Social Hierarchies
150
 1. Primitive ownership of the person	      153
 2. Self-ownership of the person	  154
 3. Slave ownership of the person	  155
 4. Feudal ownership of the person	   156
 5. Civil ownership of the person	  157
 6. Individual ownership of the person	      161
Section 4: The Relationship between Ownership of the Person
     and the Social Nature of Society	      164

CHAPTER 6: THE CONCEPT OF HUMAN RIGHTS	   170

Section 1: The Nature of the Concept of Human Rights	  170
Section 2: Historical Conditions for the Emergence of the
Concept
     of Human Rights		178

CONCLUSION		 197

BIBLIOGRAPHY		  198

Acknowledgements

I firstly must thank Professor Bernard Cullen, my supervisor.
Without his
continuous encouragement and support for more than eight
years, this thesis
could not have been completed at all. His close reading of
several drafts
saved me from many logical and linguistic mistakes.
 Special thanks should be given to Mr John Laverty for his
generous help in
reading the draft of the whole thesis and correcting many
linguistic
mistakes.
 I owe very much to Dr Colin Harper of The University of Ulster,
who read
the draft of the first, fifth and sixth chapters and corrected some
linguistic mistakes I had made.
 I should also thank Dr Ian Leask, who read the draft of the fourth
chapter
and corrected many linguistic mistakes.
 Many thanks should be given to my friends Mr Alex Luke and Mrs
Anne Luke,
who corrected a number of linguistic mistakes I had made.
 I gratefully acknowledge the assistance given by Ms Miriam
Dudley, of the
Law Library of the Queen’s University of Belfast, and Ms Hilja
McMahon, of
the Main Library of the Queen’s University of Belfast. They
patiently and
willingly helped me by acquiring many materials and books
necessary for the
writing of this thesis.
 Of  course, I am solely responsible for all defects remaining in
the final
version of the thesis.

A question: are there many economists and  economics
students in China now who are studying Marx and Marxian
political economy?

Zhiyong Dong: welcome aboard!

In solidarity, Jerry