[OPE-L:4069] Re: Re: Re: Re: e: m in Marxs theory

From: Gil Skillman (gskillman@MAIL.WESLEYAN.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 15:13:04 EDT

analytical relevance of the LTV, Rakesh writes

>Gil, as I understand it, it is indeed true that the neo Ricardian
>approach purports to explain (or determine) both the average rate of
>profit and relative prices while Marx can only explain the formation
>of the general rate of profit, as I have argued in my last reply to
>Allin.
>
>  But the neo Ricardian approach has no relevance outside the
>non-existent context of output unit prices not equalling input unit
>prices--a solution can only be had if one of the n equations is
>removed by setting input prices to output prices; otherwise there
>would be an unknown other than a distributive variable, right?
>
>  That is, it is a logical solution to no-thing (except perhaps an an
>internal critique of another no-thing--general equilibrium). Marx's
>theory however does lay out the value theoretic determinants of the
>average rate of profit without the simultaneist stricture which John
>E called into question long ago. So on grounds of generality and
>relevance it's no contest despite the absence of a real price theory
>in Marx's value theory.

I agree about the possible indeterminacy in the Sraffian system when input
and output prices diverge, Rakesh, but I don't think this observation
affects my point here, which is:  if your theory gives you a story about
wage *rates*, as Marx's does, then it is more direct to go directly from
wage rate to profit rate, rather than the indirect route suggested by
Duncan's ratio product. Otherwise, I don't see how my story is any more or
less affected by the possibility of input/output price divergence than is
Duncan's.

Illustration:  Suppose the average wage rate w is determined, say at the
subsistence level.  Then if p(t) is the vector of current commodity prices,
p(t-1) is the vector of prices from the preceding period, A is the unit
input requirement matrix, X is the vector of gross outputs, I is the
identity matrix,and L is the vector of unit labor inputs, the profit rate
can be written directly as

(1)     r  =   [p(t)I -p(t-1)A -wL]X / p(t-1)A,

that is, total profits relative to the dollar value of capital.  [I'm
evaluating the capital stock at "old" prices for the sake of argument, but
I'll have some questions about this procedure below.]  Except for the
possibility of divergent input/output prices, which at least is not
*logically* alien to the Sraffian system, the indicated terms are all
perfectly recognizable Sraffian entities.

Marx's theoretical analysis of the profit rate in Capital Volume III is
based on dividing top and bottom of this ratio by the value of labor power
(presumably determined at the wage rate in t-1, but that's not central to
the point here) to yield

(2)       	{[p(t)I -p(t-1)A -wL]X / wLX}
             r =     ________________________ ,

                      {[p(t-1)A/wLX }

that is, the average rate of surplus value divided by the average
composition of capital.  Note that no direct reference to wage or profit
shares or capital productivity (Duncan's preferred theoretical categories)
is made, and you still have to know old and new prices.

Finally, Duncan's ratio product requires that you take the data in (1),
divide and multiply by dollar value of the net product vector Y = (I-A)X,
and rearrange to get

(3)                    {[p(t)I -p(t-1)A]X / p(t-1)AX}  *  {[p(t)I -p(t-1)A
-wL]X / [p(t)I -p(t-1)A]X ,

that is, average productivity of aggregate capital (in monetary terms)
times the profit share of net product.  Notice this requires exactly the
same data as (1), but requires you to jump through more hoops to derive the
profit rate. Thus, if the divergence of input and output commodity prices
somehow creates a problem for the more direct approach I suggest, it
necessarily creates *at least* as much of a problem for the determination
of Duncan's ratio product....

....Unless, of course, it can somehow be argued that specifically *labor
value-theoretic* analysis uniquely generates statements about trends in
profit shares and capital productivity (which I dispute), *and* that these
predictions are determinate *even in the face of the input/output price
divergences you've introduced**--which I also seriously doubt, but I'm open
to a proof.

Now, specifically on the possibility of these divergences:  I think that
this possibility creates *much* more of a theoretical problem for labor
value theory, which as you've noted doesn't offer grounds for a theory of
relative price determination, particularly across time, and a more
neoclassical approach, which does.  For example, consider two cases :
first, if the causes of dynamic price changes are known ahead of time, then
when can under plausible conditions generate an equilibrium dynamic price
path, and the indeterminacy you raise is eliminated.  For example, if the
path of technical innovation is known in advance, a corresponding dynamic
price path can be determined, and the basis of your objection is eliminated.

Put more generally, there are plausible theoretical bases for eliminating
the analytical indeterminacy you highlight, but these bases are necessarily
alien to a labor theory of value, so if this issue matters, I think it
supports my critique rather than injuring it.

Alternatively, if dynamic price adjustments are due to shocks which cannot
be fully anticipated, then just about anything goes, and it is implausible
at best that a consideration of labor value-theoretic entities will
(uniquely) enable one to close the system, in which case my critique again
remains intact.

Finally, in expressions (1) - (3) above I've evaluated the value of capital
at their old ("input" period) rather than new ("output" period) prices in
keeping with standard practice, but a labor value theory provides no
grounds one way or other for determining if this is correct.  Who says that
capitalists don't ignore sunk costs and evaluate the profit rate solely at
"new" prices, as neoclassical analysis would suggest?  How does value
theory let one decide this?  Notice that if they do the latter, the
indeterminacy you've raised again goes away.

To keep posts to manageable length, I'll respond to your other points in a
separate post.