[OPE-L:4121] Re: Re: use value and value

From: ECUSERS (ECBURKE@scifac.indstate.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 20:48:46 EDT

Hi Michael:

Well, I guess I would say partly so.  Is not the speed and ease with
which one can complete a task ITSELF part of the "use value" yielded
by the calculator versus the slide rule?  Hence when (in my first
example) I referred to the two goods doing the exact same job, this
had to mean in the exact same time.  (I am sure there are some jobs
that a skilled slide rulist can do just as fast as with a calculator -
- leaving aside the possible greater aesthetic pleasure from using a
slide rule, which must also be counted in the use value.)

Cheers, Paul B.

> Paul, that was exactly my point.  A slide rule still does what it
did 20 years ago.  It is just that we can do it better now.