[OPE-L:4128] Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: use value and value

From: Michael Perelman (michael@ECST.CSUCHICO.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 23:52:44 EDT

Steve, use value, as I read it is something more general than the relationship to
labor under capitalism.  Water has the same use value no matter what form of mode
of production exists.   Use value, as I understand it, consists of the properties
inherent in an object.

It exists irrespective of the personal situation of an individual.  To shift to
another example, a cigarette has no use value to me, but it still has a use value
because of its inherent properties.

One example makes my interpretation weaker: where a commodity may confer status
upon a person.

Maybe I am wrong.  This whole thing seems rather simple to me.  I am not bringing
any deep understanding to this discussion.  Maybe you people see something that I
don't.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department