[OPE-L:4155] Who agrees with Popper? [re OPE-L:4154]

From: Andrew Brown (Andrew@lubs.leeds.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 05:11:25 EDT

Steve,

You wrote [OPE-L:4154]:

> science has moved on a long way from Popper, his litmus test between a
> science and a non-science--that the former makes statements which can be
> falsified, whereas the latter makes it impossible to either verify or
> disconfirm itself--is still accepted.

By whom? As I understand it (I'm no expert) it is not accepted, as
a general rule, by current 'philosophers of science' (it hasn't been
since Feyerabend), nor therefore by current 'economic
methodologists' (who tend to be some years behind the philospohy
of science discipline). Far from it, the current vogue is a 'return to
practice' which means rejecting the 'prescriptivism' typified by
Popper and (lamely) *describing* what scientists actually do.

I certainly don't agree with Popper's 'litmus test'. I don't think Marx
did in the slightest (nor do I agree with the current 'philosophy of
science' - obvioulsy Marx doesn't). However, I'm not really sure
where people on this list stand on the 'litmus test'. Fred stated
agreement with Gil on this I think. It is an important question
anyway.

Andy